Yesterday was one of my off days from running so I decided to start lifting some weights. All I did was some upper body work with some free weights. Now, I know nothing about lifting weights and I sometimes feel silly when I have these experienced weight lifters working out beside me, but I want to continue to add this into my half-marathon training. If anyone has any advice in this area, send them my way! I also think I'm going to reference this "Strength Training for a Half-Marathon" article for just some general ideas.
Since yesterday was my off day, I had a real struggle motivating myself to run today. I had a 3 mile run to do and I was just not feeling it, but I know if I am serious about this half-marathon, I must keep up with the schedule! So I ran. I don't know if it was because I did not want to be running, but I ran my first mile in just 10 minutes and all three in 32 minutes! I did not believe my phone app when it announced my time. That's a full minute faster than my last time!
That was a great feeling of accomplishment and just what I needed to get back my motivation. I am starting to understand and appreciate that feeling I have after a great run. I must keep that knowledge in mind when I am struggling to put on my tennis shoes...
1. Congrats on the time!
ReplyDelete2. Just remember that most people around you probably feel silly as well doing weight training, and at some point, no one knew how to do it. One thing that has helped me is just remembering that the people who make me most uncomfortable (because they seem like pros) don't really care about me and what I'm doing. They are focused on their own goals and I should be too. So, I research, get the form down pat, and do my own thang!
3. Don't be afraid to ask for help! I'm still working on this one myself. Probably, most everyone at the gym has wanted to ask for help at some point, but was too nervous/shy/embarrassed to actually do so.
4. You're awesome.
5. I use FitnessFast app on my iPhone to track all of my progress. Probably the best app I've found for working out.
Thats all :) Love ya!
Dan, these are such great hints and tips. Thank you so much for sharing them with me! You have always been such a great support to me. Love ya!
Delete