Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Obstacles and Support

These past two days were hard and I knew they were going to be. I am in the middle of training for my job and some meals are typically provided. Usually, I can work around these meals by accommodating for the unknown points at lunch, by having a smaller breakfast and/or dinner. However, these last couple days we were away on a retreat and all meals were provided for us. These were pretty great meals too and they all had multiple dessert options! In addition, there were tons of snacks everywhere I turned, including those dreaded double-stuffed Oreo cookies!

It was hard to regulate my portions and know exactly what I was eating for the day, but I made sure to fill up on large salads, skip most desserts (yes, I indulged in a little ice-cream), include tons of the veggie dishes, and work in activity when I could. Then, when I returned home today, I made sure to instantly get back on track with my running schedule and ran my three miles for the day.

Staying on track while away is hard, but not impossible. I came prepared with the mindset that I was not going to let these two days derail me. Furthermore, I made sure to pack healthy snack/meal options that included cliff bars and bananas; therefore, when everyone was reaching for bagels and extra french toast in the morning, I had a banana with a little peanut butter. Having a cliff bar to curb my appetite also helped when we all made a Culver's stop. I ate that before stopping for the fast food, so I wasn't tempted to get anything. And I am proud to say I did not!

It also helped that I had my coworker's to support me. They would give random high fives, share in the frustration of so many snacks, and allowed me to voice my struggle. One has even started picking me up and spinning me around to help boost my spirits and congratulate me on avoiding certain foods! I must say, I am rather enjoying that show of support! :)

It's important to prepare for things that might easily derail you, like this retreat I just had. But giving some forethought to the situations can help keep you on track and maintain your motivation. I feel much better tonight knowing that I stuck to my plan and made overall healthier decisions, than I would have if I had regressed into old habits.

<Click Photo to Enlarge>
View of our retreat location from the top of the bell tower. It was a nice climb to the top! 

No comments:

Post a Comment